Major bone regeneration procedures
Various factors may cause major bone loss resulting in functional and esthetic problems. In this module, Prof. Hendrik Terheyden reviews the mechanisms and consequences of bone resorption and explains the treatment options for specific situations in partially edentulous and edentulous patients.
Price 19.99 EUR Buy module
Total lectures time: 1 h 50 minutes
Assessment time: 45 minutes
To earn CE credits a lecture has to be watched completely and the referring exam needs to be passed. An exam is passed if at least 70% of all answers are correct.
After achievement a personal certificate is issued. It is valid 1 year. The certificate is anytime retrievable in the „My certificates“ area on Dental Campus.
The exam can be repeated 4 times. Each re-examination can be taken after anytime.
For CE information click here
After completing this module you should be able to:
- Explain the process of alveolar ridge resorption in the maxilla and mandible
- Discuss the functional, general health and esthetic consequences of ridge atrophy
- Be aware of problems that severe ridge atrophy can cause for prosthetic treatment and implant dentistry
- Identify typical defect situations in ridge atrophy
- Explain the technique for different types of bone grafts (onlay, interpositional graft, distraction osteogenesis) and their difficulty and healing capacity
- Know how to apply defect specific treatment options for partially edentulous patients
- Describe the techniques and level of predictability for bone augmentation in edentulous jaws (eg. in combination with Le Fort I Osteotomy)
- Explain the treatment options for bone defects after trauma, tumor or malformations (continuity defects): vascular fibula flaps
- List different donor sites for autogenous bone grafts (intraoral and extraoral)
- Know about the team approach (maxillofacial surgeon, prosthodontist, dental technician)
- As a general dentist, you should be able to inform the patient about the possibilities in case of severe resorption and refer him to the specialist
This content has been reviewed by 13th of January 2020.
Disclaimer: The content provider of this e-learning module declares no relevant financial relationship related to any commercial product(s) or service(s) discussed in the presentations that create a conflict of interest.