Essentials of 3D radiology
Cone beam computer tomography (CBCT) has become an important tool for diagnostics and planning in implant dentistry. This module explains you all the important aspects of the CBCT.
Price 19.99 EUR Buy module
Total lectures time: 1 h 26 minutes
Assessment time: 42 minutes
To earn CE credits a lecture has to be watched completely and the referring exam needs to be passed. An exam is passed if at least 70% of all answers are correct.
After achievement a personal certificate is issued. It is valid 1 year. The certificate is anytime retrievable in the „My certificates“ area on Dental Campus.
The exam can be repeated twice. Each re-examination can be taken after anytime.
For CE information click here
After completing this module you should be able to:
- Determine the clinical indications for a CBCT in implant dentistry and decide in which specific situation the use of a CBCT is justified
- Know the guidelines for the use of CBCT in dental and maxillofacial radiology and find additional online resources on CBCT guidelines
- Describe the technical principles of a CBCT
- Understand the dosimetry of a CBCT in comparison with conventional CT scans
- Explain how the following factors influence radiation dose and image quality: voxel size, patient position, field of view, pulsed or continuous radiation, patient movement, metals in the oral cavity, detector type, parameter settings (mAs, kV), reconstruction algorithm
- Position the patient correctly and set the multiplanar reformatting spline (curve that serves as a basis for panoramic view and cross-sectional images)
- Interpret CBCT data correctly and recognize errors and artifacts
- Recognize proper anatomy and pathology in CBCTs and find other important online learning resources on CBCT anatomy and pathology
- Determine bone quality and quantity with CBCTs by relative Hounsfield values
- Link local and systemic bone quality to implant success
- Be aware of the possibilities of anatomical models based on CBCT data and know about their accuracy
- Discuss the possibilities and limitations of CBCT
This content has been reviewed by March 2016.
Disclaimer: The content provider of this e-learning module declares no relevant financial relationship related to any commercial product(s) or service(s) discussed in the presentations that create a conflict of interest.