Ridge alterations after tooth extraction
Tooth extraction, once a simple and straightforward surgical procedure, should be performed with the acknowledgement that ridge reduction will follow and that further clinical steps should be considered to compensate for it. Prof. Mauricio Araujo will provide you with detailed information on the basic principles anatomic changes after tooth extraction and of clinical aspects of ridge alterations after tooth extraction with and without implant placement.
Price 14.99 EUR Buy module
Total lectures time: 1 h 13 minutes
Assessment time: 30 minutes
To earn CE credits a lecture has to be watched completely and the referring exam needs to be passed. An exam is passed if at least 70% of all answers are correct.
After achievement a personal certificate is issued. It is valid 1 year. The certificate is anytime retrievable in the „My certificates“ area on Dental Campus.
The exam can be repeated 4 times. Each re-examination can be taken after anytime.
For CE information click here
After completing this module you should be able to:
- Understand the anatomic principals of the alveolar process from a macroscopic and from a histologic perspective
- Understand the correlation of the thickness of the buccal bone and the risk for ridge alterations after tooth extraction
- Describe the principles of extractions socket healing including the inflammatory phase, the proliferative phase and the modeling/remodeling phase
- Understand that during the socket healing process of modeling and remodeling qualitative and quantitative changes will occur resulting in a reduced dimension of the alveolar ridge
- Be familiar with the amount and pattern of clinical changes taking place after tooth extraction and spontaneous healing
- List the amount of resorption taking place in the different regions in the upper or lower jaw
- Identify the important factors predicting the amount of bone loss after tooth extraction
- Understand the dimensional changes of the alveolar ridge taking place after tooth extraction and immediate implant placement
- Calculate the risk associated with immediate implant placement into fresh extraction sockets
- Understand the indications for coronally advanced flap technique
- Learn the clinical step-by-step process of the coronally advanced flap technique
- Explore the advantages and disadvantages of the coronally advanced flap technique